I mostly write non-fiction on Buddhism and the arts. Most of these articles use diacritics that require a unicode font.
Talking to the Kālāmas
A new translation of the Kālāma Sutta along with a commentary which explores the meaning of the text, and explodes some myths about it.
A resource for visualising and calligraphy of Buddhist mantras.
A guide to Sanskrit and Pali names used in the Triratna Buddhist Order.
A personal account of my pilgrimage around the Buddhist holy sites in India in 2003/4.
- Possible Iranian Origins for Sākyas and Aspects of Buddhism. Journal of the Oxford Centre for Buddhist Studies. Vol.3 2012. Paid Access. [draft available free here.]
- 'The Spiral Path or Lokuttara Paṭiccasamuppāda.' Western Buddhist Review, Vol. 6, 2012.
- 'Facing Death without a Soul: A Response to George Adams' Journal of Ecumenical Studies. 47(2) 2012: 282-287.
- The Hundred Syllable Vajrasattva Mantra. Western Buddhist Review, Vol. 5, 2010.
- Did King Ajātasattu Confess to the Buddha, and did the Buddha Forgive Him? Journal of Buddhist Ethics. Vol. 15, 2008.
- Messian and the quest for eternity. (An analysis of The Quartet for the End of Time). Urthona Issue 24 released May 2007
- An analysis of Arvo Pärt's Cantus in Memory of Benjamin Britten. Urthona Issue 22, Winter 2005.
- Frank Zappa : the Idol of my Youth. Urthona Issue 21, 2004-5.
- Andy Goldsworthy : an artist of substance. Urthona Issue 20, 2004.
- Suicide as a response to suffering. Western Buddhist Review, Vol. 4, 2004.
- Images of transcendence. Artesian : magazine of upwelling art and creativity. No.6 2003/4.
- Healing the land. Urthona Issue 19, Winter 2003.
- A mirror to ourselves. Occasional Papers in Librarianship. No.19. Victoria University, 1991.
- Kukai : an introduction to his life and work. (book in progress)
- True Words : the magic and science of mantra. (book in progress)
- Ego and other dilemmas in the Spiritual life. (Chapter published as Suicide as a Response to suffering - see above)
Short Blog Essays
My blog Jayarava's Raves has 300 short essays on various subjects related to Buddhism.
I've also been blogging for Renegade Economist.